Anyone who wants to stay in Saigon needs to have proper documents, especially if you plan to stay as an expat. In case you’re planning to work in Vietnam, here’s a list of documents you’ll need.

››A written request for a work permit must be made by the employer in accordance with regulations of the Ministry of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs;

››A health certificate issued in your country or in Vietnam as prescribed by the Ministry of Health (in most of cases, expats obtain a health check certificate in HCMC);

››A written certification that you’re not a criminal or liable to criminal prosecution according to Vietnamese law and the foreign country’s law, made within the previous six months from the day on which the application is submitted. A criminal record from your home country is required, even if you have not lived there for years. If you have lived in Vietnam for more than six months, you will need to apply for a local criminal record as well;

››A written certification that you are a manager, executive officer, expert or technician. Or, a written certification of your qualification, such as: written certification issued by the competent authority of the foreign country if you are an artist in the traditional professions; documents proving experience of foreign soccer player; pilot certificate issued by a Vietnam’s competent authority to foreign pilots; licence for airplane maintenance issued by a Vietnam’s competent authority if you maintain airplanes;

››A written approval for employment of foreign workers given by the Department of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs;

››Two passport colour photos 4x6cm, taken within the previous six months from the day on which the application is submitted;

››A copy of your passport or an equivalent paper, which is still valid; ››Assignment letter (for internal transferees) or labour contract (for local hires);

››Additional documents may be required depending on the form of employment/ assignment;

››The fee for the work permit is VND400,000.

For information on work permits go to Working Out Your Work Permit