If you are foreign citizen, in principle you will need to apply for a work permit in Saigon or anywhere in Vietnam. However, you will be exempted if you fall in one of the following categories:

››Capital-contributing members or owners of limited liability companies;

››Members of the Board of Directors of joint; stock companies;

››Chiefs of representative offices and directors of projects of international organizations or non-governmental organizations in Vietnam;

››Those who stay in Vietnam for under three months to offer services for sale;

››Those who stay in Vietnam for under three months to deal with complicated technical problems that adversely affect or risk adversely affecting production and business activities when these problems cannot be handled by Vietnamese and foreign experts who are currently in Vietnam;

››Foreign lawyers possessing a professional practice licence in Vietnam in accordance with the Law on Lawyers;

››Those who are studying and working in Vietnam, provided that the employer notifies their employment to the provincial-level state management agency of labour seven days in advance;

››It is in accordance with a treaty to which Vietnam is a contracting party;

››Workers who are reassigned within enterprises engaged in 11 service industries committed to services between Vietnam and the WTO (business, communication, construction, distribution, education, environment, finance, health, tourism, entertainment, transportation);

››Workers who enter Vietnam for technical advisory services or other tasks serving the research, development, appraisal, assessment, management and execution of programs and projects funded by ODA (Official Development Assistance) according to international agreements on ODA between competent authorities of Vietnam and other countries;

››Workers issued with a licence for the practice of journalism in Vietnam by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;

››Workers who are teachers in foreign organisations and sent to Vietnam by such organisations to teach in international schools under the management of foreign diplomatic missions or international organisations in Vietnam;

››Workers who are volunteers. In these cases, they must obtain a certification from the foreign diplomatic mission or international organisation in Vietnam;

››Workers who hold master’s degrees or higher and provide consultancy, teach or conduct scientific research at institutions of higher education or vocational colleges for less than 30 days. In this case, the institutions of higher education or vocational colleges must make a written certification of the consultancy, teaching and scientific research;

››Workers who implement international agreements to which central state agencies, local state agencies and central socio political organisations are signatories. In this case, the agencies and/or organisations who are signatories shall send written notification to the agency authorised to issue work permits.

Other cases as decided by the Prime Minister at the request of the Minister of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs.

For information on work permits go to Working Out Your Work Permit