Best Mooncakes in Saigon
On the 24th of September 2018, Vietnamese and Chinese people will celebrate the Mid-autumn Festival, which falls on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar.
In Vietnam, this day and festival is celebrated with great fervour—kids running about freely holding traditional paper (or modern LED) lanterns, youths dressing up flamboyantly while parading Nguyen Hue street, lion dance troupes seeking permission to perform for residents in exchange for ‘lucky money’ at the heart of Saigon’s Chinatown—but one indisputable and irreplaceable feature of the Mid-Autumn festival regardless of one’s origin is definitely the mooncake.
Image source: cloudfront.net
Mooncakes are sweet or savoury cakes that are baked or dessert-style (mochi-skinned, flaky and other exotic preparations exist!), featuring all sorts of imaginable styles and fillings such as traditional sweet lotus paste, green tea and pandan, roasted chicken, coffee, caramel sea salt and taro, coconut and durian… the list could go on for a long time!
City Pass Guide has put together a list of our favourite mooncakes this year along with a summary of prices and flavours to make your life easier. This way you can conserve your energy to burn some calories after a mooncake feast!
Pullman Saigon Centre
Image source: Pullman Saigon Centre
Price: Pullman Saigon Centre brings box of all four flavours (185g ea.) are priced at VND838,000 Net.
• Pure lotus single yolk - Traditional-style baked mooncake filled with not-so-sweet lotus seed paste and a single salted egg yolk.
• Red bean - Traditional-style baked mooncake filled with red bean paste, watermelon seeds and nuts. Great with tea!
• Lava Strawberry - An innovative steamed mochi-skin mooncake with a strawberry-based filling.
• Lava chocolate - A premium mooncake crafted out of high quality chocolate!
Image source: Le Méridien
Price: Single mooncakes are available at VND258,000++
Inspired - VND868,000++ per box of four mooncakes.
Explore - VND968,000++ per box of four mooncakes.
Connected - VND968,000++ per box of four mooncakes.
Chic - VND1,068,000++ per box of four mooncakes.
Unlocked - VND1,068,000++ per box of four mooncakes.
Discovery - VND1,268,000++ per box of four mooncakes.
Le Meridien Saigon’s Latitude 10 restaurant introduces an exciting series of mooncakes with six distinct flavours including Tiramisu, Takesumi Charcoal, Sesame, Green Tea, Green Bean and Roasted Chicken-Jambon. Le Meridien’s exquisite handcrafted mooncakes (170g) are available in six different box designs and are perfect as gifts for friends, family and corporate clients.
Hôtel Des Arts Saigon
Image source: hoteldesartssaigon.com
• Golden Harmony - Baked custard mooncake filled with a sinful salted egg custard core.
• Heaven Delight - Traditional-style baked mooncake made with healthy peanut oil, 100 percent lotus seed paste and a single egg yolk centre.
• Pandan Royal - Special creamy white soft crust made by blending pandan and malaysian coconut.
Imperial Pearl - Traditional baked style cake filled with almonds, walnut, melon seed, white sesame and more.
Image source: Sheraton Saigon
• 4 pieces of 220gr Mooncakes at VND1,098,000 Net
• 4 pieces of 150gr Mooncakes at VND898,000 Net
• Single 220gr Mooncake at VND270,000
• Single 150gr Mooncake ar VND190,000
Li Bai Restaurant of Sheraton Saigon stuns foodies once again with it’s annual line of Cantonese-style mooncakes. Eight flavours are available this year.
• White Lotus Seed Paste
• Green Tea
• Black Sesame
• Pandan Lotus
• Traditional Mixed Nuts
Available at Sheraton Saigon hotel lobby till September 24, 2018.
Image source: facebook.com/sainthonoresg
Price: All Saint Honore mooncakes (150g) are priced at VND85,000.
This highly popular French bakery located in Thảo Điền is also spicing up the festivities with a large and exotic line of mooncakes inspired by both local traditions and foreign ingredients.
• Valrhona Chocolate Truffle & Coconut
• Matcha & Pistachio
• Almond Amaretto
• Cream Cheese Blueberry
Traditional baked-skin flavours:
• Red Bean & Hazelnut
• Lotus & Red Ginseng
• Oolong Tea
Cakes and ale
Address: They do not currently have a retail outlet but you can still order the delightful cakes from the company’s Facebook page.
Image source: facebook.com/cakesandale23
Price: VND580,000 for a box of 4 mooncakes (150gr)
Cakes & Ale's 2018 line of mooncakes feature healthy choices and boasts a myriad of colourful crust and crusts made with natural colours from various raw ingredients such as green tea, carrot, takesumi charcoal, red wine yeast, pumpkin powder, beetroot, chocolate and purple sweet potato.
• Green tea red bean
• Green tea
• Green bean
• Young coconut milk
• Black sesame
• Lotus seed paste
• Grape rum
• Traditional mixed nuts with chinese sausage and candied ginger
• Traditional mixed nuts and preserves (sunflower, almond, cashew, melon seed, sesame, candied lotus seed etc.)
Image source: facebook.com/maisonmarou
Price: Each 100gr mooncake is made with 70% Lâm Đồng dark chocolate and priced at VND150,000. A box of 4 mooncakes is also available at VND600,000
Arguably Vietnam’s best chocolatier and chocolate patisserie, Maison Marou is amongst the small handful of artisanal chocolatiers in Vietnam who crafts chocolate out of locally grown cocoa beans. This year, Maison Marou is offering just two utterly unique, gourmet mooncake flavours that are bound to steal the limelight:
• Chocolate peanut praline
• Chocolate kumquat jam
Phương Diêm Thuận
Address: 108 Phạm Phú Thứ, P. 3, District 6
Image source: facebook.com/banhtrungthuphuongdiemthuan
A reputable mooncake makers in Saigon’s chinese enclave, Phương Diêm Thuận prides itself as one of the largest independant mooncake makers in Ho Chi Minh city that sells freshly baked mooncakes directly to customers and their multi-generational families without the help of third-party distributors. If you don’t speak Vietnamese, you can give the code number instead of the English name to assist with your order.
Codes, flavours and price:
• 28 Pineapple with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND95,000
• 26 Taro paste with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND88,000
• 24 Pandan lotus seed paste with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND89,000
• 22 Pumpkin seed paste with watermelon seeds and double salted egg yolk (210g) VND88,000
• 20 Coconut with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND82,000
• 17 Green bean paste with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND82,000
• 14 Lotus seed paste with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND87,000
• 9 Pandan taro paste with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND88,000
• 5 Mixed nuts with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND105,000
• 32 Red bean paste with almonds (210g) VND88,000
• 11 Mixed nuts and ham with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND99,000
• 7 Mixed nuts with eight treasures cured pork leg and ham and double salted egg yolk (210g) VND102,000
• 6 Mixed nuts and dried shrimp with double salted egg yolk (210g) VND130,000
• 3 Mixed nuts with roasted chicken and double salted egg yolk (210g) VND119,000
• 2 Mixed nuts with roasted chicken, sharkfin and double salted egg yolk (210g) VND135,000
• 2 Mixed nuts with roasted chicken, abalone and double salted egg yolk (210g) VND140,000
Other single salted egg yolk and eggless flavours are available.
Hỷ Lâm Môn
Image source: hylammon-bakery.com.vn
Codes, Flavours and Prices:
Another renowned ethnic-Chinese bakery with humble beginnings at the heart of Saigon’s Chinatown (District 5), Hỷ Lâm Môn has been selling pastries since 1984 and has since expanded to 9 branches around Ho Chi Minh City while producing more than 130 types of cakes and baked snacks on a daily basis. Their list of seasonal mooncake offerings are a true reflection of the preferences and traditions of the Saigonese palate.
• AA Special roasted chicken with Shark Fin (250g) VND193,000
• 9A Special lotus seed paste with double salted egg yolk (250g) VND151,000
• 2A Special green bean paste with double salted egg yolk (250g) VND139,000
• A Special roasted chicken with ham (250g) VND167,000
• 66 Roasted chicken with doouble salted egg yolk (220g) VND155,000
• 11 Mixed nuts with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND141,000
• 99 Lotus seed paste with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND131,000
• 22 Green bean paste with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND119,000
• 88 Coconut with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND119,000
• 33 Black bean paste with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND119,000
• 55 Taro with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND123,000
• X2 Green tea lotus seed paste with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND143,000
• D2 Pandan lotus seed paste with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND143,000
• M2 Black sesame paste with double salted egg yolk (220g) VND121,000
Other single salted egg yolk and eggless flavours are available.
Image source: product.hstatic.net
Prices and Flavours:
A premium teochew-chinese (chaozhou) chinese bean cake maker, Quê Homemade is also making traditional chinese-style mooncakes during the festive season.
‘Tre Vàng Ngóng Trăng’ (Golden bamboo awaits the full moon) series of mooncakes and teochew bean cakes:
• Premium bamboo box set with eight flavours at VND1,780,000
Four traditional mooncakes: roasted chicken with bird’s nest, golden salted egg yolk custard, matcha red bean and coffee cream cheese as well as four traditional teochew cakes.
• Premium bamboo box set with six flavours at VND1,440,000
Two Traditional mooncakes; roasted chicken with bird’s nest and one other flavour of your choice along with four traditional teochew cakes.
Banner Image source: Mervin Lee