News on 13 September 2016

By:

1) Top athletes vie for second ‘Sports Oscar’ awards

Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI — The second season of the Victory Cup has arrived, with new candidates and categories up for voting to honour national sportsmen.

The race for the so-called ‘Việt Nam Sport Oscar’ kicked off in Hà Nội. The award is believed to be the biggest national prize for athletes who have competed and brought home success.

“After holding the awards for the first time last year, we saw it having a great impact on our athletes. They have worked harder in training and competed stronger in tournaments,” said Trần Đức Phấn, head of the organising board.

“I myself see this as a positive way to harvest more achievement, as well as see the anticipation in the players as the award has not been announced yet for this year,” said Phấn, who is also the deputy head of the Việt Nam Sports Administration.

“It’s my honour and I am proud to be named as a candidate for the cup. And I am excited to see the final result,” said Hoàng Xuân Vinh, the first national Olympic gold medallist.

Read more

2) PM stresses Guangxi’s role in Việt Nam-China relationship

Viet Nam News

GUANGXI — Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc has highlighted the role played by China’s Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, which shares border with Việt Nam, in consolidating the friendship and developing the comprehensive strategic co-operative partnership between the two countries.

Guangxi has actively cooperated with Vietnamese ministries, agencies and localities over the past years, the PM told Secretary of the Party Committee of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region Peng Qinghua yesterday.

The Vietnamese leader is in Guangxi to attend the 13th China-ASEAN Expo (CAEXPO) and China-ASEAN Business and Investment Summit (CABIS), as part of his official visit to China at the invitation of his Chinese counterpart Li Keqiang from September 10-15.

PM Phúc highlighted exchanges and co-operation between Guangxi and Vietnamese localities, saying that Peng Qinghua visited Việt Nam four times, and that trade between Việt Nam and Guangxi reached nearly US$25 billion in 2015.

Up to 4,000 out of about 10,000 Vietnamese students in China are now studying in Guangxi, he added.

Read more

3) Finance ministry announces new tax plan for Uber

Vietnam breaking news

The Vietnamese Ministry of Finance has issued a new tax plan for Uber taxi service after its recent rule requiring drivers to pay tax on behalf of the ride-hailing company proved unpopular. Uber, a smartphone app allowing people to hail a private car, has operated in Vietnam since June 2014. Uber drivers use their own vehicles and only have to share 20% of each ride’s fare with the company, with the remaining 80% going to their own pockets. Under the new tax rule, Uber will have to pay a total tax of 5%, including a 3% value-added tax and a 2% corporate income tax

Read more

4) High rise fire safety in Hanoi still poor

Vietnam breaking news

VietNamNet Bridge – Thousands of lives have been put at risk due to many newly built high rise apartment blocks in Ha Noi that fail to meet fire safety standards

Last month, the Ha Noi Department of Fire Prevention and Control released a list of 38 apartment buildings that are occupied, but do not meet fire safety regulations. A majority of these buildings are located in Hoang Mai and Ha Dong districts, which have nine and 14 buildings, respectively, that have not put in place proper fire safety standards. Further, many investors and management offices were found to not be following government regulations on fire prevention and control, the department said

Read more

IS THERE A STORY OR TIP

YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH US?

GET IN TOUCH